Saturday, April 4, 2009

Sayur Asem

This is special kind of vegetable soup from Indonesia. The taste of this soup is sour and bit spicy.

Ingredient:
Chili
Onion
Galangal
Candlenuts
Salam leaf
Tamarind
Salt
Palm sugar/sugar
Sweet corn
Long bean
Melinjo
Eggplant
Young papaya
Melinjo leaf
Peanut

And for the vegetables….hmm you can put almost everything there. The problem is, we need to put special vegetable call “melinjo” and “melinjo leaf” to make this “sayur asem” as the original taste.

Just bit info :
Salam leaf is a kind of bay leaf but of course…the taste, the flavors and the smell is totally different.
I don’t know maybe here we can share some info for those who live abroad (I’m in Indonesia now) here.
While I lived in Malaysia I can find this salam leaf along the road and in some rest area from Johor Bahru to Malaysia.
I lived for sometime in Ulsan – Korea, but I can’t find it there. And so far I know, since I have some Indonesian friends who like to go to discover traditional food area in Paris and they know how to find the spice there, I can’t find this salam leaf and “melinjo” in Paris too. I don’t know, maybe in Netherland you can find the “sayur asem” ingredient easier.http://www.flickr.com/photos/knoxzee/3320617063/

No comments:

Post a Comment